Featured Blog Posts
Frosted Vanilla Cupcakes
This indulgent, healthy cupcake recipe comes straight from Cook Yourself Thin.
Frosting — 61 calories. Cupcake — 104 calories.Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded, peeled zucchini (about 2 small)
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl.
- Set over (not in) a pan of simmering water.
- Stir continuously over heat until the mixture is warm and the sugar is completely dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Using a handheld electric or standing mixer, set on high beat until the mixture is entirely cooled, glossy and stiff, about 7 minutes.
- Beat in the lemon zest, and add the butter cubes, a few at a time, beating until the butter is almost fully incorporated after each addition.
- Beat until smooth – once smooth, take care not to over beat, or the mixture will get lumpy.
- Let frosting set and cool in the refrigerator (at least 30 minutes) while making the cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven. Line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla with a handheld electric or standing mixer until thick and light colored, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in the zucchini on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl once with a spatula during beating.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to spoon into the muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes, turning the pans midway through baking.
- Transfer cupcakes onto a wire rack, and cool completely before icing with the chilled frosting.
Source: Cook Yourself Thin
Copyright (C) 2009 Lifetime Entertainment Services