Dr. Sears Zone Diet
Here's the wildly popuar eating approach that promotes overall wellness.
Get started by saving with these Zone Diet Coupons
Based on the best-selling Zone books by Barry Sears, Ph.D., the Zone is more than a diet. The Zone is a clinically proven lifestyle program designed for losing weight, fighting the effects of aging, reducing the risk of chronic disorders and improving mental and physical performance - all by eating the right combination of fat, protein and carbohydrates at every meal and snack.
Established in 2002, Zone Labs Inc. has quickly risen to become an industry leader in the development and sales of innovative, patented nutraceutical products. Located in Danvers, Massachusetts, the company is based on the vision of Dr. Barry Sears, author of the best-selling Zone books and a leading authority on the dietary control of hormonal response.
Zone Labs combines cutting-edge technology with the latest scientific research to develop a wide range of Evidence Based Wellness products, including foods, dietary supplements and a skin care line. Every product produced and sold by the company adheres to Dr. Sears' research on the battle against inflammation, which is recognized as a primary factor in the development of a wide number of chronic illness conditions.
The Zone Diet is one of the most popular low-carbohydrate and low glycemic diets. It calls for an inclusion of a lean protein, non-starchy carbohydrate and a small amount of a healthy fat at every meal or snack.
While it receives criticism for its exclusion of certain starchy vegetables and fruits, it has a devoted and famous fan base like Jennifer Aniston, who credit this clean-eating and low-glycemic eating plan for keeping them lean and healthy.
Other Zone Diets include:PRO
- A doctor-developed, clinically proven weight loss method
- Lots of free information on the site
- Promotes a diet that is rich in vegetables, lean proteins and healthy fats
- Offers a number of resources making eating in The Zone easy and convenient
- Named #6 in the Best Commercial Diets by US News, 2011
- Criticized for its exclusion of certain plant-based foods
- Considered a fad diet by some
- Avoidance of sugar may be difficult in the short-term
- Zone-created products has a sales- and marketing-feel to them
Any Zone diet adheres to these following rules:
- Keep to a 40/30/30 ratio with food. This translates into 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent protein and 30 percent healthy fat in each meal.
- Try to keep your eating at a 5/5 ratio so that you're eating five times a day, no more than five hours apart.
- Eat proteins that are low in fat. Skinless chicken breast, lean turkey, tofu, egg whites, white fish and certain kinds of lean red meat are recommended.
- Avoid starchy vegetables like corn, sweet potatoes, peas, white potatoes and beets.
- Avoid certain fruits like bananas, raisins and most dried fruit.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day.
The idea is to fill your plate one-third of your plate with a lean protein, two-thirds with a non-starchy vegetable or fruit and a dash of a healthy fat like a olive oil or avocado.
You should also eat according to how many Zone Blocks you are allowed each day. Generally, women are allowed 11 and men are allowed 14.
There is a tremendous amount of information on The Zone's free website including, recipes, articles, meal planners, diet tools, nutrition calculators and an online grocery store full of Zone meals, snacks, bars and supplements.EXERCISE
Modest and consistent exercise is encouraged a minimum of three days a week while on the Zone Diet. Strenuous exercise is discouraged as it simply makes you hungrier and may also break down muscle, which can limit the efficiency of your body's metabolism.CONCLUSION
As a trailblazer in the low glycemic eating plans, Dr. Sears' The Zone Diet is one of the most recognizable and popular diet plans that has helped millions lose weight.
The Zone name, which includes a mini empire of foods, books, resources, research articles and a thriving online community, can be followed as a long-term eating plan as long as you follow the rules closely and only once and awhile give in to your craving for a slice of deep-dish pizza or a brownie sundae.Common Misspellings
Zone Living, Zone Labs, Zone Diet, Zone, The Zone Diet, OmegaRx, Omega Zone, Dr Barry Sears