Weston Price Diet
Consume nutrient-dense foods for better health.Top Rated Diets of 2016
The Weston Price Diet is based on the findings of Cleveland dentist Weston A. Price. Over the period of ten years, Price discovered that his adult patients with severe dental problems also had other problems throughout their body such as arthritis, osteoporosis, diabetes, intestinal problems and chronic fatigue.
Price also noticed that his younger patients were suffering from dental problems such as crooked teeth, overbites and pinched nostrils. These children also suffered from problems of infections, allergies, asthma, poor vision and behavioral problems.
As Price made these discoveries, he also came up with an idea. He set out on a global trek to examine other primitive societies and their health conditions and teeth. He found that those in other cultures had diets that were at least four times higher in minerals and vitamin C and B complex than the diets of Americans. Many of the healthy groups of people that Price studied ate special foods like cod liver oil, fish, eggs, organ meats, cream and butter and raw unpasteurized whole milk from grass-fed cows.
Price then formulated his findings into the Weston Price Diet. This diet goes against 20th and 21st century popular diet recommendations, which emphasize a low-fat diet. Instead, the Weston Price Diet, and through the funding efforts of the Weston A. Price Foundation, advocate for an eating style that is nutrient-dense, natural and unprocessed.
Some of the tenets the Weston Price Diet maintains are:
- Animal fats do not cause heart disease, cancer and obesity but actually protect us against these conditions.
- Modern soy foods contribute to thyroid problems, digestive disorders and endocrine disruption.
- Low-fat diets can lead to many health problems, including emotional instability.
- Vegetarians do not live longer; vegan diets do not protect against cancer and heart disease.
Do You Know the Best Diets of 2016?
- Promotes getting nutrients naturally from animals and foods that are unprocessed
- Dental health can be linked to overall health
- Diet recommendations are clear and straightforward
- Recommends eliminating processed and refined foods
- Eliminates white flour, refined sweeteners and vegetable oil
- High fat content will enhance satiety
- Backed by some scientific studies
- Considered a controversial diet because of its promotion of raw milk and high fat, albeit natural foods
- Requires a tremendous amount of diligence since diet prohibits eating processed foods as well as many grains
- Not vegan- or vegetarian-friendly
The Weston Price Diet espouses that the modern diet is the reason for chronic disease as well as the surge in overweight and obesity trends. The program encourages a diet that is generally low-carbohydrate with the basis of calories coming from natural and animal-based food sources.
The following foods are allowed on the Weston Price Diet:
- Butter, cream and whole raw milk
- Organ meats, such as liver
- Pasture-fed meats, dairy and eggs
- Wild fish, shellfish and fish roe
- Organic vegetables and fruits
- Traditional lacto-fermented foods
- Healthy lacto-fermented soft drinks
- Homemade bone broths
- Properly prepared whole grains and traditional sourdough breads
- Unrefined salt
Foods to avoid are:
- Modern soy foods
- Pasteurized, homogenized dairy
- Margarine and trans fats
- Processed vegetable oils
- Dry breakfast cereals
- Artificial sweeteners and additives
- Fast foods and sodas
- Refined sweeteners and fruit juices
- White flour products
- Factory-raised meats and farm-raised fish
The diet also encourages eating locally when possible as well as choosing foods that are raised without pesticides, antibiotics, hormones and fertilizers.EXERCISE
There is no specific exercise plan that accompanies the Weston Price Diet, but engaging in regular daily physical activity is encouraged in order to maintain optimal health.CONCLUSION
The Weston Price Diet may be a controversial program but its basic message deserves a listen to, namely that fat is not to be feared as long as a whole-foods and nature-based diet is steadily consumed.
While vegetarians and vegans won't find much comfort in this lifestyle eating plan, its promotion of a general low-carbohydrate, nutrient-dense, unprocessed diet as way to maintain health and stave off disease has shown some promise in scientific research studies.
But its avoidance of most foods found in the Western Diet make it an eating plan applicable to only the very well disciplined and strong-willed.ABOUT RODALE
westin price diet, westn price diet, western price diet, weston price deit, westin diet, weston diet, price dietHow Does Weston Price Diet Compare?
Featured Diets and Supplements
Weston Price Diet?