Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension named the Best Diet of 2012.
- Established: 2007
- Founder: Research conducted by the National Institute of Health Research; Book author Marla Heller
- Accessibility: Book
- Diet Type: Low-sodium, low-fat and whole foods; lower blood pressure
- Gender: Male and female
The DASH Diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) has been proven to reduce blood pressure, and is recommended by health organizations such as the American Heart Association and the National Institute of Health (NIH). So it's likely to get your doctor's OK as well.
The NIH's research finds that the DASH Diet can show results for lowering blood pressure and beating hypertension in only two weeks.
With the DASH Diet you'll reduce your cholesterol levels, and of course, lose weight. The diet is centered around consuming less sodium and saturated fat, and more healthful foods like fruits, vegetables and low- or no-fat dairy.
The DASH Diet is rich in wholesome foods and the program is focused on teaching you healthy principles that will reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and some types of cancer. Some of the helpful information available in the book includes:
- Menu plans for different calorie ranges
- Tools to help you personalize the program for your personal goals
- Recipes and shopping lists for DASH-friendly foods
- Tips for eating out
- Advice on healthy weight loss and exercise for various lifestyles
DASH DIET Named Best Diet of 2012 by US News and World Report
Supported by the medical community
Ideal for those with hypertension
Ideal for diabetics
Nutritional approach to eating
- Proven to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol without medication
- Offers healthy eating choices you can stick with
- Shows meal plans for various daily calorie amounts
- Eating plan aligns with government MyPlate guidelines
- Contains 28 days of menus
- None to speak of
When you follow the DASH Diet Action Plan, you will eat lots of fruits and vegetables, combined with low-fat dairy foods, lean meat, poultry, fish, some nuts and beans, and grains. The plan is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and offers plenty of vitamins and minerals that your body needs. The DASH Diet Action Plan will make it easy to lose weight, since many of the DASH diet foods are more filling than the empty calorie foods that many people over-consume. The DASH Diet Action Plan will give you a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life. The DASH Diet recommends a daily diet that includes the following:
- 4-6 servings each of fruits and vegetables
- 6-12 servings of whole grains
- 2-4 servings of low- or no-fat dairy
- 1.5-2.5 servings of lean meats, poultry and fish
- 2-4 servings of fats and sugars
- 3-6 servings (weekly) of legumes, nuts or seeds
A sample day of eating on the 2,000 calorie option is listed below.
- Breakfast: Freshly squeezed orange juice; Wheaties with skim milk topped with raspberries; cinnamon raisin English muffin with a layer of light cream cheese
- Lunch: Turkey and light Swiss cheese on whole wheat, smothered with cranberry sauce, topped with romaine lettuce leaves; minestrone soup; coleslaw
- Snack: Nectarine; handful of almonds
- Dinner: Italian bread dipped in olive oil; grilled salmon with barbecue sauce; new petite red potatoes; Haricots Verts dusted with crushed hazelnuts
The DASH Diet offers guidelines featuring elements of all exercise types including aerobic, resistance, flexibility and balance. It is suggested that you do aerobic, stretching and balance exercises most days of the week and that you add some type of resistance exercise two to three days each week. When planning the number of days you will work out, you should plan to exercise seven days per week which may likely be reduced to five days because of scheduling conflicts or other issues. If you are trying to lose weight, you should plan to exercise 60 minutes each day. Those that are trying to maintain their weight can lower that to 30 minutes each day.
Some pointers offered in the DASH Diet for incorporating exercise and sticking with it include choose an exercise you enjoy, consider working out at home and find activities that will keep you engaged during your exercise routine. Working out at home or in your neighborhood offers the ultimate level of convenience and increases your chances of actually getting the workout done. You should also get proper shoes and clothes for your workouts and consider buying an elliptical machine or treadmill to make it easier to workout in all weather conditions. Aside from the amount of time you should exercise, the DASH Diet doesn’t require that you participate in a certain exercise. The choice is yours provided you incorporate the elements suggested by the program.
The DASH online program provides exercise advice for all levels and fitness goals. You will find advice whether you are a beginner or a weekend athlete, or even a competitive athlete.CONCLUSION
The DASH Diet is a sound scientifically proven weight loss approach that has the backing of the major players in the health industry. Whether you want to lose weight or just improve your health, this program offers a solid approach to a healthy lifestyle. Those that are currently suffering from high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes can certainly benefit from a program like this that offers a healthy eating approach and plenty of exercise.Common Misspellings
DashDiet, Dash Deit, Dahs Diet, Dsah Diet, Hypertension Diet, Dash Diet for HypertensionAuthor