This soft-diet approach is often doctor prescribed for certain illnesses.
It would be pretty tough to market a diet called The Bland Diet. Which is why it's not been branded or marketed by anyone. It's remained simply an eating approach that is sometimes prescribed by physicians for people who have ulcers, bowel problems, nausea, vomiting, or gas.
It's also known as a "soft diet," for the soft foods that go with it. With lightly spiced, and low fiber foods, a bland diet may also be helpful if you have had stomach or intestinal surgery. The bland or soft diet is designed to decrease peristalsis and avoid irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. It's appropriate for people with peptic ulcer disease, chronic gastritis, reflux esophagitis or dyspepsia. It may also be used in the treatment of hiatal hernia.
- It's usually doctor-prescribed
- Ideal for those with ulcers and other digestive health issues
- Removes stimulants like caffeine from the diet
- No branded diet to follow
- Not a long-term diet approach
- Not for those following a raw diet
The Bland Diet consists of foods that are easily digestible and tender (soft). Fried and highly seasoned foods and most raw fruits and vegetables are eliminated. Drinks containing alcohol should also be avoided. Other foods eliminated include coffee (regular and decaffeinated), tea, cocoa, chocolate, pepper, and chili powder. Here are a few examples of substitutions:
- Instead of bran cereal, eat cream of wheat
- Instead of strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, eat applesauce or canned seedless fruits
- Instead of eating raw vegetables, eat cooked carrots or green beans
There is no specific exercise regimen prescribed with The Bland Diet, unless decided by your doctor.CONCLUSION
The Bland Diet is a restrictive plan, but this is one of the few times that it actually serves a specific purpose. Before you decide to take it upon yourself to follow The Bland Diet, you should talk to your doctor, who will be able to diagnose if it is the best approach for what ails you.Common Misspellings
bland deit, the bland diet, bland diets, blend diet, bleak diet