A beautiful blend of fresh vegetables, prepared for Obama's inaugural luncheon.Yield: Serves 10
- 2 bunches asparagus, green, bottom 1/3 of stem removed*
- 2 pound carrots, peeled, cut oblong or large dice
- 1 pound baby brussels sprouts, fresh (cleaned) or frozen if unavailable
- 1 pound wax beans, ends trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Zest from one orange
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat grill or large heavy-bottom sauté pan. Rub 2 tablespoons of olive oil on asparagus and season with pinch of salt and pepper.
Lay flat on grill or sauté pan until lightly browned. Using long fork or tongs, rotate the asparagus to brown other sides, usually 2 or 3 minutes per side. The asparagus is done when you can use a fork to cut through. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil, add carrots to water and cook until fork-tender.
Toss carrots with 1 tablespoon butter and orange zest until evenly coated and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil. For fresh brussels spouts, cut into the stem of the sprout with a pairing knife to create an ‘X’ on the bottom. This will allow the stem to cook more evenly. Drop into the boiling water. For frozen sprouts, put them straight from the freezer into the boiling water and remove once they are hot, as they have already been cooked.
When sprouts are tender and easy to cut with a knife, remove from water and allow all water to drain completely. If some are very large, cut them in half.
Heat a heavy sauté pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add brussels sprouts to the pan, seasoning with salt and pepper and tossing to brown evenly. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Bring 3 quarts salted water to a boil. Add trimmed wax beans to water and allow to cook until fork-tender or to your liking of doneness. Remove from water and toss with 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper.
*vegetables can be substituted for local seasonal items or personal choice.
Source: Today Show
See the rest of Barack Obama's Inauguration Menu.