White Bean Butternut Squash Ragout with Polenta Squares
A satisfying and nutritious meal from the Whole Foods Diet Cookbook that takes 25 minutes to prepare.Yield: Serves 4
White Bean and Butternut Squash Ragout
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- Coarse unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen butternut squash, thawed and drained of excess water
- 2 tablespoons all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup corn grits (polenta)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
Heat oil in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt; sautée for 5 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add the garlic and ginger root, and sautée an additional 2 minutes.
Add the butternut squash and peanut butter; stir to combine until peanut butter is well blended. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, sage, and cayenne pepper; cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Spoon the ragout over the individual square-shaped polenta servings. Top the ragout with shredded Gouda cheese. Serve at once.
For Polenta Squares:
Pour the water and salt into a medium-size pot; bring water to a boil. Add the polenta and reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the oil.
Oil the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch casserole; spoon the polenta into the casserole and let sit for 10 minutes, or until firm. When firm, cut polenta into four squares and place on individual plates.
Source: Whole Foods Diet Cookbook