Vegan Blue Cornbread
A hearty, slightly sweet cornbread with plenty of antioxidants from blue corn.
Yield: 1 loaf; 10 slices
- 1.5 cups blue corn meal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose (or whole wheat) flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 Tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (honey for non-vegan) ( 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder) in a large bowl.
- Prepare flax "egg" by adding flaxseed and water and letting it set for a few minutes. Then add agave nectar, applesauce, unsweetened almond milk and vanilla extract and whisk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry bowl and mix until just combined. Transfer batter to a parchment-lined or lightly greased loaf pan (or a 12-cup muffin pan).
- Bake muffins 20-24 minutes. Bake a loaf for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean. Cool slightly before slicing and store leftovers in an airtight container for up to a few days.
recipe and photos by Dana Shultz