Skinny Bitch Macaroni and Four Cheeses
It's a cheesy pasta classic made just the way vegans like it.
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil, melted, or safflower oil, plus more for the casserole dish
- About 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 1 pound whole-wheat or brown rice elbow macaroni
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed winter squash
- 2 cups soy or rice milk
- 4 ounces vegan Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces vegan Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces (about 1/2 cup) vegan cream cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Oil a 2-quart casserole dish; set aside
- In a 4- to 6-quart stockpot over high heat, combine 3 quarts of water with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the salt. Bring the water to a boil, add the macaroni, and cook according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the squash and milk, stirring and breaking up the squash with a spoon until the squash is defrosted. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the Cheddar, Jack, cream cheese, mustard, cayenne, and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of salt.
- When the pasta is done, drain it, then return the pasta to the pot. Stir the cheese sauce into the macaroni. Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and the 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.