Featured Blog Posts
Shrimp and Scallop Paella
A lighter take on this traditional Spanish dish.
Per Serving: 361 Calories, 8.7g Fat, 1.1g Saturated Fat, 830.9mg Sodium, 39.3g Carbohydrates, 4.6g Total Sugars, 2.5g Dietary Fiber, 29.7g ProteinYield: Serves 4
Clam juice, liquid from freshley shucked or cooked clams, has a briny flavor that complements classic paella ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ounces turkey kielbasa or sausage, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, lightly crushed
- 3/4 cup Rice
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 16 manzanilla olives
- 3/4 pound large shrimp (36-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- HEAT the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and kielbasa. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saffron and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute.
- POUR in the clam juice and 1/4 cup of the water. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- STIR in the tomatoes, peas, olives, and remaining 1/4 cup water. Cover and return to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes longer, or until the rice is nearly tender. Stir in the shrimp and scallops. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes longer, or until the rice is tender and the seafood is cooked through.
Source: Used with Permission From 400 Calorie Fix © by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, with Mindy Hermann, RD. Used with permission from Rodale, Inc. Visit 400 Calorie Fix. Photo: Ted Morrison