Roasted Red Pepper Dip
From the Biggest Loser Chefs, a dip with Moroccan flair.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 whole green onions, cut into 2" lengths
- 2 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch of hot-pepper sauce, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler or barbecue grill to highheat.
- With a small sharp knife, cut a couple of slits in the top of each bell pepper.
- Place the peppers on the rack 6" from the broiler heat source or on the grill rack. cook for 2 to 5 minutes, or until the skin is charred black.
- Rotate thepeppers so that another side faces the heat. Continue cooking until all sides are charred.
- Transfer the peppers to a brown paper bag. Close the bag tightly. Let stand for about 15 minutes, or until the peppers are cool enough to handle.
- One at a time, with hands, peel the charred skin from the peppers. Discard the skin, stem and seeds.
- Transfer the roasted peppers to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Process for a few seconds, or until the peppers are roughly chopped.
- Spoon the peppers into a fine strainer or sieve. Stir to allow the excess liquid to drain off.
- Meanwhile, to the bowl of the food processor, add the green onions, cilantro and garlic. Process for about 60 seconds, or until finely chopped. Add the cream cheese. Process for about 60 seconds, or until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- Stir in the reserved bell peppers, tomatoes and cumin. Stir to mix well.
- Season with hot-pepper sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Cover the bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days, for the flavors to blend.
Serving suggestions: with carrots, cucumbers and celery sticks; Wasa Light Rye Crispbread; cubes of whole-grain bread; shrimp; as a spread in wraps/sandwiches.
Source: Biggest Loser
Source: Devin Alexander from the Biggest Loser Cookbook