Raisin and Chocolate Filled Cookies
These cookies are 100 calories each and have a healthy dose of dried fruit.
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookies
- 3 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- Combine raisins, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar and orange peel in small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Cook over low heat 11 to 13 minutes or until raisins are plump and tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Cool 30 minutes. Meanwhile freeze cookie dough 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut dough in half; return one half to freezer. Cut remaining half of dough into 32 very thin slices.
- Place 16 slices on large cookie sheet 3 inches apart. With floured hands, pat dough to 1 3/4-inch rounds.
- In the center of each round, place 1/4 teaspoon chocolate chips and a rounded 1/2 teaspoon of raisin mixture.
- On floured surface, pat remaining dough slices into 1 3/4-inch rounds. Place over filling. Press around all edges with floured fork to seal.
- Bake at 350°F for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 1 minute. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool. Repeat with remaining half of ingredients while first pan of cookies is baking. Bake as directed.
Source: California Raisins