Quick Apple Sausage Quesadillas
Add a vitamins and a little sweetness to dinner with this recipe for quesadillas with sausage and apples.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch dice (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 fully cooked apple chicken sausages, casings removed and meat coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Five 8-inch flour tortillas, preferably whole wheat
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the sausage, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
In a bowl, stir together the cooked bell pepper and sausage, cheese, corn kernels, and barbecue sauce. Spread the mixture evenly over half of each tortilla. Fold over, press down gently, and set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat (you may want to wipe out the skillet first). Add 2 of the quesadillas and cook, pressing down occasionally with a spatula, until the bottoms are crisp and golden, about 3 minutes. Flip them, and cook until the other sides are golden, about 2 minutes.
Repeat with the remaining oil and quesadillas. Cut into halves or quarters and serve.
Source: No Whine with Dinner by Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex