Potato Leek Soup
A delicious and very rich-tasting soup that is equally good served hot or cold.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 bunch leeks (about 12 oz) light green and white part only, cleaned and sliced
- 1 container (32 oz) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 ½ lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (4 large), peeled, diced into 1/2 inch chunks (about 6 cups)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- Chives for garnish (optional)
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add leeks; cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add broth, potatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Mash in pot with a potato masher until desired consistency. (If serving cold, you may want to puree until smooth in a blender or in pot using an immersion blender).
Serve topped with Greek yogurt, freshly ground black pepper and chives, if desired.
Recipe and photo created by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com