Featured Blog Posts
Mini Quinoa Pizzas
A hearty and protein-rich pizza recipe from the Whole Foods Diet Cookbook.Yield: Serves 4
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 cage-free organic omega-3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup stone-ground whole-grain corn flour
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Extra virgin olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cups good-quality marinara sauce
- 3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a small strainer. Bring the measured water and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Stir quinoa into boiling water and return to a boil; then simmer, covered, until quinoa is dry and water is absorbed, about 20–30 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the granulated garlic.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Mix in the eggs, flour, and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Lightly oil a 1⁄4-cup dry-ingredient measuring cup. Pack quinoa into the cup.Unmold onto the baking sheet and lightly pat with a spatula to flatten the patty.
- Make 11 more cakes. Chill, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil shimmers. Carefully add 3 or 4 quinoa cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer quinoa cakes to the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat process with remaining oil and quinoa cakes. 10.Top each quinoa cake with 1 tablespoon of the marinara and then 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese. Transfer quinoa cakes to the oven and bake for 8–10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Lift quinoa cakes with a spatula and transfer to a serving platter. Top each quinoa cake with finely chopped basil leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Whole Foods Diet Cookbook