Mashed Turnips and Potatoes
Turnips not only add great flavor to these mashed potatoes, but also help cut the carbs too.
Using Yukon Gold potatoes and yellow turnips help trick the eye into thinking there is much more butter in this recipe.
- 1 small yellow turnip (rutabaga), (about 1 ¼ lbs) peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks (3 ½ cups)
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, (about 1 lb) peeled and cut into - 2-in. chunks (3 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- ½ cup 1% lowfat milk
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp chopped chives or sliced scallions (optional)
- Put rutabaga, potatoes, and garlic in a large pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.. Drain.
- Return to pot and add butter, yogurt, milk, salt and pepper and mash until smooth.
- Stir in chives or scallions, if desired, and spoon into a serving bowl.
Recipe and photo by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com