Featured Blog Posts
Mashed Turnips and Potatoes
Turnips not only add great flavor to these mashed potatoes, but also help cut the carbs too.
Per Serving: 137 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 5 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodiumYield: 3 ½ cups; 5 servings
Using Yukon Gold potatoes and yellow turnips help trick the eye into thinking there is much more butter in this recipe.
- 1 small yellow turnip (rutabaga), (about 1 ¼ lbs) peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks (3 ½ cups)
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, (about 1 lb) peeled and cut into - 2-in. chunks (3 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- ½ cup 1% lowfat milk
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp chopped chives or sliced scallions (optional)
- Put rutabaga, potatoes, and garlic in a large pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.. Drain.
- Return to pot and add butter, yogurt, milk, salt and pepper and mash until smooth.
- Stir in chives or scallions, if desired, and spoon into a serving bowl.
Recipe and photo by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com