Healthier Flaxseed Banana Bread
A lightened-up version of this classic quick bread using Truvia Baking Blend.
Yield: one loaf
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup milk (we used almond milk)
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup Truvia Baking Blend*
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar *
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- old fashioned oats for sprinkling
Notes: Use less Baking Blend (1/4 cup) if you prefer a more naturally sweet-tasting bread. The brown sugar is optional, depending on the sweetness of your bananas.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a metal or glass loaf pan. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the lemon juice, baking soda and baking powder. Then add eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and stir. Add flour, flaxseed and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle oats on top. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
Total Preparation and Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
photos and recipe by Dana Shultz