Hasselback Apple Crisp
A uniquely healthy way to make these personalized desserts.
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 large apples (any kind), peeled, cored and halved
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With your apples core side down, carefully slice them like you would a hasselback potato, making thin cuts but not cutting all the way through.
- Lie the apples face down in a lightly buttered 9x9 glass baking dish.
- To make the crisp topping, mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl then add melted butter and stir until the mixture is like sand.
- Spread the topping evenly over apples, trying to get as much of the mixture directly on top and in the creases.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the apples are soft and the topping is golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and serve warm with vanilla ice cream, yogurt or enjoy as is.