Creamy Vegetable Soup
Save calories on this hearty soup from The 400 Calorie Fix by skipping the cream.
The cannellini beans give this soup a creamy consistency without using milk or cream. Feel free to vary the vegetables, depending on what you have handy. Frozen veggies also work well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-19 ounces) cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Salt Free Original Perfect Pinch seasoning
- 8 tablespoons grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- HEAT the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- ADD the broccoli, cauliflower, potato, beans, broth, and seasoning. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- PUREE the mixture until smooth using an immersion blender, or allow to reach lukewarm temperature and puree in a blender.
- SPRINKLE with 2 tablespoons cheese per serving.
Source: Used with Permission From 400 Calorie Fix © by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, with Mindy Hermann, RD. Used with permission from Rodale, Inc. Visit 400 Calorie Fix. Photo: Ted Morrison