Cider Poached Pears with Yogurt and Toasted Almonds
Dessert so good it makes you forget that it's healthy, by Chef Curtis Stone.Yield: Serves 4
- 2 1-cups apple cider
- 1 orange, juice (approx ½ cup) of and zest divided (1 tsp grated and peel)
- 2 oranges, juice of and zest divided (grated and peel)
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 2 star anise
- 4 pears, peeled, halved and cores removed with Parisian scoop (melon baller)
- 1/2 cup, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup and 1 ½ tablespoons sliced and toasted almonds
- Bring first five ingredients to the boil.
- Add the pears and cook at a gentle simmer for 10-20 minutes or until a paring knife inserted into the pears meets a little resistance. Cooking time will be determined by the ripeness of the pears.
- Remove from heat and allow pears to cool in the poaching liquid.
- Once cool, remove pears from liquid and set aside. Return poaching liquid to medium heat and reduce to a glaze.
- In small bowl, combine yogurt with remaining orange zest.
- To serve, slice the pears in quarters from top to bottom, place in the center of four serving plates, spoon over some yogurt and top with toasted almonds.
Source: Curtis Stone