Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Better ingredients baked in to this cheddar and Romano mac & cheese make this a healthier indulgence.
- 8 oz. of Organic Vegetable Radiatore Pasta (Trader Joe’s brand, or pasta of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp. of organic butter
- 1 Tbsp. of arrowroot (a natural thickener or you can use cornstarch)
- 3/4 cup of almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree (canned is fine)
- 1/4 cup of chicken stock (or veggie stock for vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese shredded + 2 tbsp
- 2 Tbsp. of pecorino romano grated
- 1/8 tsp. of sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. of black pepper
Cook pasta according to directions but under by about 4 minutes (you are going to bake it as well).
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter.
In a bowl, whisk arrowroot powder and almond milk until all lumps are gone.
Add milk/arrowroot mixture to pot with melted butter and whisk until it becomes thicker.
Add squash and chicken stock, stir until well combined.
Add cheddar and Pecorino Romano cheese, whisk until melted.
Toss cooked pasta into cheese, squash mixture and stir until all pasta is coated with sauce.
Split mac and cheese evenly between 4 oven safe ramekins and sprinkle with reserved shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Recipe and photo by Abra Pappa for NutritiousAmerica.com