Asian Inspired Cold Noodle Salad
Dr. Mike Fenster of The Grassroots Gourmet created this dish after enjoying cold soba dishes during his travels in Japan.
- 1 package of soba noodles (I especially like the Roland organic soba)
- 2 cups of stock (You can use seafood, fish or chicken stock. The stock adds a layer of flavor to the cooled noodles, but you can use water as well to cook them)
- 2 Thinly sliced cucumber
- 7 oz Tofu (extra firm) cut into ¼ inch cubes
- Several slices of Daikon (Japanese radish)
- Toasted Nori seaweed strips (optional)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbs Ponzu Sauce (you can use Soy Sauce instead)
- 2 Tbs Mirin (you can substitute a white wine in a pinch)
- Heat the stock to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- Add the noodles and cook until slightly al dente, just like pasta.
- Drain and cool the noodles.
- Mix the dressing together and combine with the other ingredients. Top with seaweed and red pepper flakes if desired.
Featured in The Grassroots Gourmet: Eating Well, Living Better by Dr. Mike Fenster. Copyright of Dr. Mike Fenster. Photo by Jennifer Fenster.