If you’ve been longing for the fresh fruit from your local farmer’s market, there might be a viable substitute right in your local supermarket. While most regions of the United States are currently suffering frigid temperatures, areas of South America, including Chile, are in their prime for the production of fruit and vegetables.
Particularly, Chilean blueberries are at a peak and unless you’re a die-hard locavore, will let you add fresh flavor to your table no matter what the weather looks like outside. Fresh blueberries need no pitting, peeling or chopping- just a quick rinse and they’re ready to toss with your favorite yogurt, oatmeal or even eaten plain.
Blueberries not only bring flavor to the table, but each juicy bite brings healthful benefits to your diet:
- A half-cup of blueberries packs plenty of fiber, vitamin C, potassium and antioxidant into only 40 sweet calories.
- Blueberries contain more disease-fighting antioxidants than red wine or green tea.
- Half a cup of blueberries a day may help improve brain function plus help prevent Alzheimer’s and dementia, according to independent university studies.
- Some scientific evidence suggests that blueberries may be beneficial for the skin. New skin care treatments include blueberry extracts to help revitalize the skin and hasten healing.
Look for fresh Chilean blueberries at your local grocery stores and enjoy the taste of summer all year long.
Superfood Serving Suggestions:
- Toss some fresh Chilean blueberries together with walnuts and toasted oats laced with a touch of honey.
- Fill a snack-size bag or container with flavor-rich blueberries.
- Take them along to work, school, an outing, or sports event.
- Ladle pancake batter onto a hot griddle, then scatter some fresh blueberries over the batter and finish cooking as usual.
- Heat fresh blueberries in maple syrup to pour on pancakes or waffles.
- Try blueberries, toasted nuts and crumbled blue cheese over a fresh spinach salad.
- Blend fresh blueberries with a banana, milk and crushed ice for a beautiful, deep purple smoothie.
- Blueberries love compatible spices; try them with cinnamon, coriander, fresh, ground or crystallized ginger, nutmeg, or vanilla
Or try some of these great blueberry recipes!