Instead of just walking around this year, why not take the opportunity to incorporate some fitness into your pumpkin selecting? Mix it up, have some fun and get your cardio in while having fun at the pumpkin patch!
- Run sprints to the farthest pumpkin. Walk back. Repeat.
- High knees to the scarecrow. Have a race with your kids.
- Pick up the heaviest pumpkin you can comfortably hold. Squat non stop for one minute. Rest one minute, and then remembering your number, try to better it in a second (or third!) set.
- Holding a middle weight pumpkin, perform a kettlebell swing. Note: if you are holding the pumpkin by the stem, make sure it’s 1.) a thick stem and that 2.) you have a good hold on it. Otherwise, your pumpkin swings could turn in to a pumpkin smash.
- Create an obstacle course with pumpkins , hay bales, and fence rails. Run around the pumpkins, jump over the hay bales and crawl under the fence rails.
- Heavy pumpkin shoulder carries: grab the heaviest pumpkin that you can find, tote it onto your shoulder and run to the end of the field. Return and repeat. Try to beat your first time!
- Ab twists holding a pumpkin: pick a smaller size pumpkin and sit on the ground, or on a blanket if the ground is damp. Pick up your feet and balance on your bottom, then twist from side to side with the pumpkin.
- Pumpkin push ups: using the same small pumpkin, place your hands in push up position of the outside edges and perform push ups.
- Lunging rotation squats holding a pumpkin: holding the same smaller pumpkin, drop into a front lunge with your right leg and rotate your trunk – and the pumpkin – to the right. Return to standing and then repeat with the left.
What are some of your favorite pumpkin patch fitness games?