Our society is busy which makes us obsessed with foods of convenience. In attempt to help our society embrace their busy schedules while trying to battle our obesity epidemic and diet-crazed society, food companies developed the infamous 100-calorie snack pack. Have you really taken a look or thought about why you are buying these items? Below I have made my own personal pro and con list for these snack packs.
· Pre-portioned which helps you control your portion size.
· Convenient, easy to grab and take with you packaging, and they do not need to be refrigerated.
· They taste pretty good.
· Most of the different kind of snack packs are trans-fat free, low in fat, sugar, and salt.
· Highly processed foods that provide little nutritional value. You could eat the same amount of calories by eating a tennis ball-sized apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter, a handful of nuts, or a package of yogurt.
· Small quantity… you’re really not getting that much food in these 100-calorie snack packs.
· Not filling, could find yourself eating multiple packs to satisfy your hunger or cravings.
· If not careful, easy way of adding additional calories without providing any nutrients/nutritional value.
· Not that cost effective. You are paying for packaging and convenience. It would be more economical for you to buy the large quantity bag and personally prepackage your snack packs.
· Not all of the 100-calorie snack packs are created equal. Some of the snack packs are better choices than others. Read the label to see what you are or are not getting.
This is my personal pro and con list and I just don’t think it’s worth purchasing these. I would rather consume my 100 calories in a more filling and satisfying way. The decision is yours, I suggest you take a look at my list, make your own pro and con list, and read the food label of these snack packs before you purchase these items.