The Super Bowl is scheduled to be played this year on Feb 6 and this culmination of the football season will be played out by the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Getting together with a group of friends to watch the game is a tradition, but if you are trying to lose weight, it can be a rough evening. Why not host a healthy Super Bowl party? Sounds like an impossible task, but take heart, as it is not as difficult as it sounds. With just a few key switch ups, your party guests will never realize that you’ve made changes to the menu that won’t leave them in need of a “day after” exercise binge.
- Chili is a main stay of every football party, and for good reason. It’s a rich, hearty dish that is filling and delicious. Instead of using ground beef in your preparations, switch it up and use ground turkey, chicken or soy crumbles. Meatless chili or black bean versions are also very popular.
- Make sure to have an assortment of fresh chopped veggies and fruits. When the munchies hit, if carrot sticks are within reach, you’ll make a healthier choice.
- A six foot sub is a sub that doesn’t need to appear at your party. Instead, why not offer flatbreads, whole wheat or veggie wraps with sliced turkey breast, low sodium lean lunch meats and low fat cheeses? Serve alongside a tray of pickles, spinach or lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, avocado, shredded carrots and pesto. Guests can make their own wraps using the meats, cheese and veggies.
- Make your own pigs in a blanket with turkey dogs, sliced in quarters, rolled in puff pastry and baked.
- It’s not a party without chips, so grab an assortment of reduced fat potato chips, veggie chips and low sodium pretzels.
- In the same manner, a sweet treat is always necessary at a party. Try this delicious chocolate snack mix – be prepared with a double batch!
- Have plenty of water, fruit juices and low calorie beer on hand.
- Have lots of fun activities on hand to keep your guests occupied. Face painting – think team colors! – cheerleading, and wagers are all popular. Make your penalties exercise moves – choose who wins the coin toss, who will score first, and what that score will be. Losing team does push ups!