New years is right around the corner, meaning everyone is determining their New Year’s resolution. What will yours be? For most/many, it is to lose weight or to get into shape. Here are a few helpful tips for getting you a jump start on your weight loss goal:
1. Start small. Make realistic, attainable goals. You want to stay motivated, so by setting and meeting small goals will keep your fire burning and you will feel strong to take on another more challenging goal.
2. Try to eat out less often. Unless you are personally preparing your food you truly have no idea what or how many calories and fat you are taking in.
3. Incorporate exercise into your routine. If you’re not ready for daily exercise, doing some every other day would be great, especially if you never exercise.
4. Plan ahead. The more organized you can be the easier you will make it on yourself and the less likely you will be to slip up.
5. Reward yourself. And this doesn’t have to necessarily be a food reward either. Allow yourself to be treated with a new article of clothing, buying a book, CD, movie, going on a trip, a day spa treat, whatever. After you accomplish one or a few of your mini goals you should treat yourself.
6. Keep track of your progress. Keep a food and exercise journal and make sure you keep track of your emotions along the way.
7. Don’t beat yourself up if you slip up. Also, if you slip and cheat once in the day, that day is not lost, you can immediately get yourself back on track. However, continuing to cheat throughout the day you are really making it hard on yourself to make and maintain the proper behavior changes you need to make in order to succeed.
8. Stick to it. Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity, such as exercising, to become a habit, and six months for it to become part of your personality. Your new healthful habits will become second-nature in no time.
December 31st, 2008