I wouldn’t call myself a hip hop connoisseur, but I do enjoy it now and again. While I’m not into the obnoxious, material-worshiping, misogynistic stuff out there, there is also plenty of interesting and creative hip hop music to choose from, currently and from yesteryear.
While much of what is musical on a hip hop song is sampled from other artists, the beats that are laid down are often great for a cardio workout. Hip hop is, after all, built around the MC’s rhythmic ability to sling a good rhyme over a steady beat.
Back in my college days I was partial to the jazz-influenced hip hop scene, so a few of these selections will reflect that. Are you ready? Let’s get right to it! Here are some of my favorite old school hip hop tunes, which also just happen to be good for getting a little cardio in:
Gym Music Playlist of the Week: Old School Hip Hop Workout Mix
Click to download!
1. A Tribe Called Quest – Jazz (We’ve Got)
2. Public Enemy – Can’t Truss It
3. Slick Rick – Children’s Story
4. L.L. Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
5. Digable Planets – Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)
6. Run DMC – Walk This Way
7. Sugarhill Gang – Rapper’s Delight
8. Beastie Boys – Shake Your Rump [Explicit]
9. Black Sheep – The Choice Is Yours
10. The Brand New Heavies, Featuring Gang Starr – It’s Getting Hectic
11. Digital Underground – The Humpty Dance