If your biggest accomplishment in 2012 is to simply be happy, you’ll be tickled to know there are many ways to achieve success. Scroll through the following unique ways and find out how a happy smile can be forever yours. Pick one, or practice them all.
1. Ask not, “What was I thinking?” but rather, “What did I learn?”
2. Smile more often. Frowns make you feel old and tired while smiling gives you a face-lift.
3. Call a friend. Some girl talk or male bonding will work wonders for your mood.
4. Eat well. Nourish your body with nutrient packed, vitamin rich comfort food.
5. Make love. Sex is good for the soul, provided it is safe and consented.
6. Enjoy a cup of tea. The warm liquid will soothe your nerves and help you relax.
7. Stretch. Staying limber helps reduce aches and pains.
8. Pray. Having faith in something, even if it is just a good weather forecast, instills a sense of hope.
9. Hug. Human contact releases endorphins and allows us to feel secure.
10. Write a letter. Put your thoughts on paper and get them out of your head.
11. Go for a walk. Exercise releases endorphins and walking is a good way to clear your mind.
13. Practice yoga. Get inspired!
14. Be patient. The adage, “This too shall pass” means if we can just chill out, we will soon feel better.
15. Volunteer. The feelings you will get from selfless giving are better than some pharmaceuticals.
16. Listen to music. Rhythms, beats and musical tones affect the brain in such a way that makes us feel elated and energized.
17. Read poetry. Pick deep contemplative pieces like those by Robert Frost or William Blake.
18. Ride in the back seat. Take a break from always being “up front.” Give yourself a chance to sit quietly and not participate in the hustle and bustle.
19. Connect with nature. Even if it’s at a zoo or the botanical gardens, being around plants and animals can take your mind off of your problems.
20. Meditate. Take time to slow down and get to know you a little better.
22. Sing. Stretching your vocal cords will give you a rush of adrenaline.
23. Speak your mind. Get it off your chest.
24. Say NO. Set boundaries and protect your work, personal space and integrity.
25. Give. For no reason whatsoever surprise a loved one with a special gift.
26. Sleep in. If your body is craving it, you must need it. Oblige, to your health.
27. Toast. Even if you are just clinking your water glasses, tell your friend, spouse or dinner party company how much you appreciate them.
28. Say thank you. When someone thanks you for something you did or gave, thank him or her for the opportunity to do so. It may seem strange at first, but you will soon feel so tickled and full of joy.
29. Get some sun. A little bit goes a long way.
30. Don’t worry. Last but not least, just as the lyrics express, “Don’t worry, be happy.”
December 8th, 2011