Do you have good posture? Are you hunched over at your desk while typing on the computer? Proper posture may not seem like that big of a deal, but realistically, it truly is. Proper posture is about more than holding your head up high; it is crucial for eliminating any unnecessary strains to certain muscles, joints, bones, or organs.
With correct posture, you can look taller, slimmer, and come across as being extremely confident- all of which are “A-OK” in my book.
When sitting at your desk, in your car, or standing, try to be conscious of your posture. Try to keep your back straight, shoulders retracted (squeeze your shoulder blades together), and abdominals flexed (which will help keep your body straight, as well as keep your spine in correct alignment). Below are a few of the benefits of maintaining correct posture, as well as a list of exercises that will help strengthen the muscle groups necessary for proper posture.
Benefits of Proper Posture:
- Improves breathing: Correct posture helps open the breathing passages and improves the breathing process.
- Improves confidence: Allows you to be/look taller, slimmer, and more self-confident.
- Improves concentration/thinking: Proper breathing allows the increased flow of oxygen and circulation; the brain works more efficiently with proper amounts of oxygen.
- Helps reduce risk of injury: Helps reduce risk of low back pain, slipped discs, or dislocations.
- Improves image: First impressions are huge; proper posture allows you to come across as more attractive.
- Improves way of life: Correct posture allows the body to function more efficiently.
Exercises That Help Improve Posture:
(Perform two to three sets of fifteen repetitions of each exercises
three times a week to optimize results)
October 15th, 2010