Sleep plays an important role in our daily lives and I am going to go into detail about why we need a good night’s rest. Sleep is a necessity for good health and a good metabolism. Our bodies are designed to sleep roughly 6-8 hours a night, and missing sleep can have profound effects on our lives.
Lack of sleep throws off our biological clock and increases the risk of sickness, fatigue, mental/emotional stress, and mood swings. Missing sleep has adverse effects on our workouts as well. The body will fatigue earlier and definitely cannot handle the workload placed upon it. When exercising, the muscles of the body get broken down and a good night’s rest and proper diet is vital to replenish the broken down muscles and tired body.
Tips To Get A Good Night’s Rest
- Find a very dark and quiet place
- Turn on a fan to drown out other noises
- Turn up the A/C and grab an extra blanket
- Take a warm bath before bedtime
- Exercise for 30-90 minutes a day
- Read a book or listen to quiet calming music
- Avoid consuming caffeine and alcohol
- Drink a glass of milk before bedtime (skim milk recommended)
- And stretch before bedtime (relaxes body)
September 25th, 2008