We’ve all heard that fiber can be beneficial for weight loss and overall health. But what’s the big deal? Here are five reasons eating your recommended fiber every day is good for you.
1. Fills you up. Eating fiber helps keep you full and minimizes those frequent cravings/hunger occurrences. Due to fibers ability to promote satiety, it helps in weight loss/maintenance. If you eat fiber rich foods (fruits, vegetables, and whole-wheat products) you can curb your hunger and feel satisfied.
2. Keeps you regular. Eating fiber has been shown to play an important role in keeping the digestive system running smoothly. Fiber serves as an bulking agent, which helps move food through your digestive tract.
3. Heart Health. Fiber, especially soluble fiber, has been linked to reducing your risk of heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol levels. This happens because fiber interferes with cholesterol during absorption in the digestive tract.
4. Diabetes. Whether trying to prevent or living with diabetes, consuming a diet high in fiber-rich whole-grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables has been shown to help diabetics manage their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
5. Prevent Cancer. Finally, a high fiber intake has been shown to prevent cancer, mainly due to promoting regularity, which in tern keeps your digestive system healthy and frequently moving.
The best way to guarantee you are consuming the recommended 25 grams of fiber you need daily is to eat as many fruits, vegetables, and whole-grains you can handle!