The Center for Science in the Public Interest has announced the “winners” of its award for most caloric food items at restaurants. The group points out that most people should be limiting their daily food intake to about 2,000 calories. These items either come close or even exceed that recommendation.
Before we get into naming the nominees, let’s just say that the top two have names that leave little doubt that you are in for an overindulgent experience: Cold Stone Creamery and The Cheesecake Factory.
Here are some of the lowlights as collected by The Center for Science in the Public Interest:
1. PB&C Shake (Cold Stone Creamery) – Their 24-ounce peanut butter and chocolate ice cream shake has 2,010 calories and 68 grams of saturated fat. Congratulations, you just had a full day of calories with zero nutritional value!
2. Ultimate Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake (Cheesecake Factory) – This devilish dessert has 1,540 calories, 59 grams of saturated fat, and weighs almost three-quarters of a pound.
3. The Farmhouse Cheeseburger (Cheesecake Factory) – Apparently not satisfied with having just one dish on the worst-of list, The Cheesecake Factory also holds the three spot with this burger, which is topped with pork belly and a fried egg. It comes in at 1,530 calories with 36 grams of saturated fat. Oh, but wait… the fries they come with bring 460 calories more calories and 1,460 milligrams of sodium.
4. Provolone-Stuffed Meatballs with Fettuccine (Applebee’s) – I’m sure that’s one tasty meat-a-ball… but when you add in the garlic bread it’s served with, you hit the 1,520-calorie mark, with 43 grams of saturated fat and 3,700 milligrams of sodium.
5. Porterhouse Steak (Morton’s The Steakhouse). If you’re really in the mood for a steak, heck, why not just order this pound-and-a-half slab of meat. If that much meat isn’t enough to make your stomach turn, how about the 1,390 calories, 36 grams of saturated fat, and 1,200 milligrams of sodium? If you get the mashed potatoes and creamed spinach with it, you have topped this list with 2,570 calories, 85 grams of fat and 2,980 milligrams of sodium.