Is the 4th of July a chance to celebrate all that is great about America or is it just time to overindulge on hot dogs and apple pie? That depends on who you talk to, and heck, many will take part in both.
When I started to think about what songs would work in a 4th of July workout mix, I was a little stumped, mainly because I just don’t care for modern patriotic songs. They just tend to be ham-fisted and goofy (“Iraq and Roll,” anyone?).
Since traditional patriotic songs don’t make the best workout music, I thought I would put together a list of song dedicated to various states (and cities) in the Union. Happy Fourth, and remember, it’s okay to indulge a little, just get back on your horse the next day:
Gym Music Playlist of the Week: Fourth of July Mix
Click image to download!
1. B-52’s – Private Idaho
2. The Beach Boys – California Girls
3. Paul Simon – Graceland (Is there a symbol more American than Elvis?)
4. Vampire Weekend – California English (Another song about California and a band that just happens to be influenced by the man in the #3 spot)
5. Lynyrd Skynrd – Sweet Home Alabama
6. Mountain – Mississippi Queen
7. Kiss – Detroit Rock City
8. Foghat – Sweet Home Chicago
9. James Taylor – Carolina in My Mind (Cool of to Sweet Baby James)