Did you know that Vitamin D can help prevent up to 16 different types of cancers? In Gwyneth Paltrow’s latest GOOP newsletter, she discusses Vitamin D with Dr. Frank Lipman, author of “Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again.”
This amazing vitamin has so many benefits, that it is important that each person ensure that they get enough. How much one person needs depends on age, weight, amount of sun exposure and use of sun screen, along with seasonality throughout the year.
Highlights from what Dr. Frank Lipman shared in the newsletter are as follows:
- The idea that sunshine (a key way in which to get vitamin D) is dangerous does not make sense, as our ancestors for thousands of years used to spend more time outdoors than indoors
- Vitamin D deficiency is a silent danger, in that most individuals don’t know they are deficient, which can lead to cancer or other diseases. Studies show that as many as three out of four Americans suffer from vitamin D deficiency
- Infants that are deficient in vitamin D at birth can be deficient for several months after birth, which may put them at risk of developing chronic diseases much later in life
- The best way to determine whether or not you are deficient is to have your vitamin D blood levels measured
- Get 15-30 minutes of unprotected sun exposure 2-4 times a week
DietsInReview.com has provided an overview of Vitamin D in our vitamin guide. In the guide, we share the recommended daily intake and top foods to incorporate into your diet to help increase your vitamin D levels.