For many of us, it’s the land of beer, strudels and schnitzel (usually breaded and fried veal). Maybe the rich food and Oktoberfests are catching up with Germans.
Germany is looking to reverse the country’s obesity problems with a massive government initiative. The program will cost almost 50 million and includes:
– Education on healthy eating and sports
– Tougher standards for school lunches
– Voluntary measures for the sweets industry to stop targeting children under 12 with advertising
– Clothing companies to stop using “anorexic” models
– Computer game manufacturers are being encouraged to develop products that make players move about
There’s political opposition from people who believe it will just create a bureaucratic mess.
June 30th, 2008