Your liver is very important and to put it simply, without it you won’t live. Your liver is responsible for digesting food, absorbing nutrients, and ridding toxins and toxic substances from your body. So it’s very important that you keep your liver healthy in order for your body to function properly and efficiently.
So what can you eat to help your liver?
- Avoid or limit the amount of alcohol you consume. Over-consumption of alcohol can lead to life-ending liver disease.
- Certain medicines and herbal supplements can have detrimental effects on your liver. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can harm your liver as well as herbal supplements like: Black cohosh, certain Chinese herbs, including ma-huang, Chaparral, Comfrey, Germander, Greater celandine Kava, Mistletoe, Pennyroyal , Skullcap, Valerian.
- Consuming a healthy, well-balanced diet is the best way to go to protect your liver. Your diet should consist of:
- Plant-based diet focusing on plenty of fresh fruits and veggies
- Focus on antioxidant rich foods which enhance our immune system and will help remove the toxins. The best known antioxidants include vitamin A, C, E, beta-carotene, lycopene, and selenium. Some good sources of these antioxidants include broccoli, carrots, tomato juice, bell peppers, strawberries, nuts, seeds, eggs, and oranges.
Having liver problems is definitely something you want to deal with because it can become a life and death situation. The best way to avoid problems is prevention, eat right, exercise, and limit alcohol consumption. Do it now and the better off you will be!
June 18th, 2009