You find your stomach growling, but know you’re hours away from lunch time. That vending machine down the hall is very tempting and is practically calling your name. What do you do? If you plan ahead and make your own healthy snacks at home (or having things to prepare at work) you can avoid the high fat, high-calorie vending machine temptation. Healthy snacking and being prepared will help provide your body with nutrients needed, as well as not adding pounds to your waistline.
Remember, you shouldn’t feel guilty about snacking while dieting, as long as you are making healthy choices. Snacking when you’re hungry may help because you will be less likely to over eat at your next meal (i.e. getting seconds or thirds), therefore help you stay on track to losing weight. The key to incorporating snacks into your weight loss plan is to plan them with variety, moderation and balance in mind.
Try some of these springtime snacks that are great for all ages!
- Make your own trail mix- mix ready-to eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts.
- Frozen banana-pop- Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt then roll it in crushed cereal or granola. Freeze and enjoy!
- Spread peanut butter on apple slices.
- A scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced strawberries or bananas for a yummy sandwich.
- Make a smoothie by blending low-fat milk, yogurt, frozen berries or peaches.
- Make mini egg or tuna sandwiches.
- Microwave instant oatmeal, dried cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle 2% cheese on a wheat tortilla, melt in microwave, and top with salsa.
- Microwave a small potato and fill with low-fat cheese and salsa.
- Try a whole-wheat pita filled with ricotta cheese, green apples, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Have a bowl of fresh fruit topped with low-fat frozen yogurt, low-fat yogurt, or Cool Whip.
April 3rd, 2009