Maruchy Lachance is president of Running Ninja!, a lifestyle brand for runners by runners. Running Ninja! offers a wide variety of apparel and gifts for runners to keep you happy and inspired while you’re on the run.
I often refer to the process of healthy eating and fitness as a journey, not a destination. For me, the journey began by my need to lose weight after the birth of my son. My goal was not to get healthy or to get fit, it was to solely lose that weight. As the years went by my focus shifted to a healthier, not just slimmer, lifestyle and that is when I became more serious about eating leaner and exercising.
Today I am at yet another stage where I am introducing power foods that serve to fuel my body rather than just feed it. I am also introducing exercises that are more than just about toning, but about supporting my skeleton and protecting my delicate joints.
Here are some of the easy and versatile power foods and exercises I have been indulging in:
- Quinoa (keen-wah) is a seed and a complete protein because it boasts all nine essential amino acids. Its high levels of iron and zinc makes it a good choice for those wanting to strengthen their immune system. Quinoa can be used as a morning cereal, for desserts and is a great pasta and rice substitute.
- Almonds, apples, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes and salmon are all super stars. They are packed with important nutrients, low in calories, and are easy to prepare and eat.
To get more from my time on the mat I have introduced these simple exercises that not only burn calories but also tone while strengthening.
- Weight-bearing exercises are any exercise where you bear the brunt of your weight while performing it, such as walking, running, aerobics, weight training, etc. These exercises will strengthen the bones while also improving its density, helping to fight osteoporosis.
- Crunches (or sit ups) work the abs and strengthen the back
- Lunges work out the thighs and butt while strengthening the knees
Living a healthy lifestyle does not have to be complicated, expensive or time consuming. The return on your efforts is truly priceless!
For more fitness inspiration from Maruchy Lachance check out:
Guest Blog Series: Look for the following badge on your favorite health sites to see if they have been a featured guest blogger on DietsInReview.com. See other posts in the Guest Blog series.
If you would like to apply to be featured as a guest blogger, please contact us.