The Biggest Loser kitchen was graced with Chef Rocco‘s presence once again during episode 9 of season 7. He had some shocking numbers for the contestants. A startling $110 billion per year is spent in America on fast-food. These restaurants have been highly scrutinized for the role their calories, fat content, poor ingredients and over-sized portions have played in the frightening obesity epidemic in the U.S.
Rocco shared some of the nutrition facts for the four most popular fast-food menu items. Each of the contestants looked completely shocked as they learned what their former bodies were consuming.
- Stuffed Crust Meat Pizza: 490 Calories 27g Fat, 1570mg Sodium (per slice)
- Stuffed Burrito: 1100 Calories, 46g Fat, 2600mg Sodium
- Triple Cheeseburger: 1230 Calories, 82g Fat (110g Fat with fries), 1500mg Sodium
- Fried Chicken, 1 Breast and 1 Drumstick: 460 Calories, 27g Fat, 1300mg Sodium (per CalorieKing.com)
Rocco challenged the contestants to use fresh, lean, wholesome ingredients to recreate these fast-food favorites – but they had to taste good and have low calories and low fat. The teams came up with some inventive suggestions, but Rocco stepped-up and shared his favorite alternative recipes.
- Rocco’s Whole Wheat Pizza: This homemade pizza uses a whole wheat crust, veggie marinara, fresh basil, reduced fat mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses. 320 Calories, 7g Fat, 610mg Sodium
- Biggest Loser “Fried” Chicken: Marinate chicken tenders in low fat buttermilk, then roll in whole wheat breadcrumbs and season with cayenne, paprika and black pepper, then bake until crunchy and golden. 270 Calories, 4g Fat, 210mg Sodium
- Beef Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries: The classic American drive-thru meal can still be a favorite when you use lean beef, Ezekial buns, fresh vegetables and herbs. Pair with baked and seasoned sweet potato fries on the side. 270 Calories, 5g Fat, 340mg Sodium