Featured Blog Posts
Yummy Plants' Vegan Chocolate Pie
A healthier chocolate pie recipe without any animal products.Yield: 8
- 1 1/2 cups of raw, unsalted macadamia nuts (Note: A mix of 1 cup macadamia and ½ cup almonds also works well. Make sure they are raw and unsalted.)
- 1 1/4 cups of pitted Medjool dates (this variety is the most moist – so use these if you can)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon - Dash of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup (use 1/4 cup if you don’t want it as sweet)
- 1 package of Mori-nu firm silken tofu (12.3 oz)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt - Dash of nutmeg - Dash of cinnamon
- Pour the macadamia nuts (or macadamia/ almond mixture) into the Vita-Mix or food processor. Barely process until just ground. It was about 5-8 seconds on setting 3 on my machine, You don’t want it to turn into nut butter, so if you’re not sure about the strength of your processor, just pulse it to have more control.
- Add the pitted dates, coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process until the dates are chopped into small pieces and the mixture begins to run up the sides of the machine.
- Remove mixture from the machine and press into a 9” pie plate. Use your hands to press the crust into the pie plate, making the crust about ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Refrigerate the crust while you are making the chocolate filling.
- Use a double boiler to melt the chocolate chips. The consistency should be smooth, creamy and lump-free.
- While the chocolate is melting, place the tofu, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt in your Vita-Mix or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, add to the tofu mixture in your Vita-Mix or food processor. Blend a 5-10 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the pie crust shell. Scallop the top edges to make it look attractive.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour so that the chocolate filling will be dense enough to slice.
Chef’s note: A Vita-Mix was used to prepare the raw crust. Your processing times may vary in another type of blender or food processor.
From Yummy Plants.