Featured Blog Posts
Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie made healthier with milk instead of cream and a whole wheat crust
Yields 4 servings; per serving: 358 calories, 19 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 30.6 g carbohydrates, 1098 mg sodium, 4.8 g fiber, 3.4 g subar, 11.5 g proteinYield: 4 servings
For the pot pie:
- 2 Tbsp light butter (such as Smart Balance)
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, mined or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 14 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp 2% milk
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 pie crust or 6 biscuits
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter or margarine (light butter is optional)
- 4 - 5 Tbsp cold water
- First, prepare the crust: Mix salt with flour, cut in butter until well blended. Add enough water until the dough forms and scrapes away from the bowl (about 4-5 Tbsp). Roll out onto well-floured surface into the shape of your dish and set aside.
- For the pot pie: Preheat oven to 425 degrees and adjust a rack to the lower-middle position.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and about 1/4 tsp. salt and cook until soft (6-7 minutes). Stir in the garlic and thyme and stir, then add the flour and mix.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock, then add the milk. Simmer until the mixture is thickened (5-10 minutes).
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Stir the chicken into the sauce and continue to simmer. Stir in the peas and and then pour into a 9×13 lightly-greased baking dish.
- Top with pie crust or biscuits and bake until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly (about 20-25 minutes).
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.