Tomato and Basil Salad
This recipe for tomato and basil salad makes for a healthy addition to any summer meal.
- 1 ½ lbs ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks (4 ½ cups)
- 3 Tbsp thin slivers red onion
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Note:When tomatoes aren’t at their peak, use halved grape tomatoes which always have great flavor.
Put tomatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic, salt, oregano, and pepper in a large bowl and toss to mix.
Let stand, tossing occasionally, until very juicy, about 30 minutes.
Stir in basil and serve. This salad also tastes great tossed with cooked whole wheat pasta.
Photo, recipe created and nutritional analysis completed by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com