Featured Blog Posts
Tom Ka Gai Coconut Chicken Soup
This Thai chicken soup from Biggest Loser chef Cheryl Forberg is made with light coconut milk.
Per 1-cup serving: 170 calories, 5 g total fat (3 g saturated), 20 mg cholesterol, 980 mg sodium, 17 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars), 2 g fiber, 11 g proteinYield: 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh Thai ginger (galangal) or regular ginger
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass (bottom 4 inches only), peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce (see note)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms, preferably shiitakes
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, shallots, and lemongrass and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Carefully add the broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the fish sauce and lime juice, and return to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, and carrots to the broth and cook for 3 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Remove from the heat. Garnish with the scallions and cilantro and serve hot.
Note: Fish sauce, also called nuoc mam, is available in Asian markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.
Source: Flavor First by Cheryl Foberg. Copyright © 2011 by Cheryl Forberg. By permission of Rodale, Inc. Available wherever books are sold.