Spaghetti Squash with Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce
This recipe substitutes spaghetti squash for pasta and is topped with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Be sure to use the ripest tomatoes you can find.
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks (3 cups)
- 2 Tbsp thin slivers red onion
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup thin slices fresh basil
- One (2 ¼ lb) spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
Put tomatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic, salt, oregano, and pepper in a large bowl and toss to mix.
Let stand, tossing occasionally, until very juicy, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, put squash in a microwave-safe plate or bowl. Cover and cook on High until strands of squash separate when flesh is scraped with a fork, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Scrape spaghetti squash from peel with a fork to form strands.
Stir basil into tomato mixture. Mound squash on serving plates and top with sauce.
Photo, recipe and nutritional analysis created by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com