Spaghetti Squash with Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce
This recipe substitutes spaghetti squash for pasta and is topped with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
Be sure to use the ripest tomatoes you can find.
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks (3 cups)
- 2 Tbsp thin slivers red onion
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup thin slices fresh basil
- One (2 ¼ lb) spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
Put tomatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic, salt, oregano, and pepper in a large bowl and toss to mix.
Let stand, tossing occasionally, until very juicy, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, put squash in a microwave-safe plate or bowl. Cover and cook on High until strands of squash separate when flesh is scraped with a fork, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Scrape spaghetti squash from peel with a fork to form strands.
Stir basil into tomato mixture. Mound squash on serving plates and top with sauce.
Photo, recipe and nutritional analysis created by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com