Sausage Feta Pepper Bake
A simple, yet impressive, breakfast from Biggest Loser's Chef Devin.
I love breakfast dishes like this one. They are extremely low in calories for their serving size, and they allow me (and, more important, you!) to couple them with a low-fat muffin, a small smoothie or a bowl of fruit and still stay under 350 calories for the whole meal. -- Chef Devin
- Olive oil spray (propellant-free)
- 4 ounces lean nitrate-free spinach and feta chicken and/or turkey sausage, sliced lengthwise and then chopped into
- 1/2" pieces (no more than 7 grams of fat per 3-ounce link)
- 2 cups frozen pepper and onion blend
- 2 cups all-natural egg substitute
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a medium oven-safe nonstick skillet over high heat. Lightly mist the pan with the olive oil spray and add the sausage and pepper blend. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until all of the moisture is cooked away and the onions, peppers and sausage are lightly browned.
Turn the heat off and pour the egg substitute into the pan. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set.
Season with the salt and pepper. Being careful not to scratch your pan, cut into four equal wedges and serve immediately.
From "The Biggest Loser Family Quick & Easy Cookbook" by Chef Devin Alexander. Copyright © 2011 by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP, The Biggest Loser™ and NBC Studios, Inc., and Reveille LLC. Reprinted by permission of Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.