Roasted Butternut Squash and Figs with Rosemary
Enjoy the flavors of fall in this simple vegetarian side dish.
Roasted butternut squash is delicious, but adding fresh figs, and a little fresh rosemary brings it to another level! A drizzle of balsamic vinegar at the end, compliments the sweetness of the squash and figs perfectly.
Nutrition fun fact: This recipe supplies 360% of the daily requirement for vitamin A and 64% of the requirement for vitamin C.
- 1 ½ lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- ½ of a large red onion, cut into slivers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fresh ripe figs, halved (or quartered if large)
- Balsamic vinegar for serving
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick foil or line with regular foil, then coat with nonstick spray.
Place squash and onion on prepared baking sheet; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Roast 25 minutes. Remove from oven and toss. Add figs; toss gently. Return to oven and roast until squash and onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
Transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Serve with balsamic vinegar.
Recipe and photo by Terry Grieco Kenny