Red Velvet Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
A decadent dessert that's guilt free, thanks to Eat What You Love.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated no-calorie sweetener*
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces tub-style light cream cheese
- 4 ounces nonfat cream cheese
- ¼ cup granulated no-calorie sweetener*
- 1 cup light whipped topping
*Sucralose based like Splenda
**A light dust of powdered sugar instead of frosting eliminates 40 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 2 grams of carbohydrate
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a nonstick 12 muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk egg until at least double in volume, mix in oil, sugar, extract, sweetener, and red food color.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda, and stir 1/3 into the wet mixture. Add 1/3 of the milk and alternate wet and dry ingredients until batter is smooth.
- Scoop evenly into muffin tin, bake 15 minutes, until center springs back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To make frosting, place the cream cheeses in a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sweetener and beat for 1 minute longer. On slow speed, beat in the whipped topping, beating briefly just mixed. Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons of frosting.
Source: Eat What You Love, by Marlene Koch