A delicious seasonal twist to the pancake.
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons trans fat–free tub margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the ¼ cup of sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon of sugar with the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, margarine, egg, pumpkin, and yogurt-sugar mixture, stirring well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Stir until it is moist and free of lumps.
- Lightly coat a griddle or a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat to low to medium heat. Using a ¼ cup measure, pour the batter onto the hot griddle. Cook until the bubbles begin to burst, then flip and cook until golden brown.
Source: Expect the Best (Wiley 2009) by Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D., www.expectthebestpregnancy.com