White Grape Gazpacho
Rethink the way you enjoy soup in the summer.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 slices stale country bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 cups white grape juice
- 2 cups ice water
- 3 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 24 seedless white grapes, halved
- Combine the almonds and garlic in a blender or food processor and blend until the almonds are very finely ground, almost paste-like. Reserve in blender.
- Meanwhile, soak the bread in cold water 15 to 20 minutes. Then squeeze out excess water. Add to the almonds in the blender and process until smooth.
- With the motor running, add the oil in a thin stream and then the vinegar, scraping down the sides often.
- Pour in the grape juice and iced water, one cup at a time, blending between additions, and season to taste with salt. Process briefly to combine.
- Chill at least 6 hours before serving. Serve in chilled soup bowls and garnish with the grapes.